Recently I was contacted on Twitter by the owner of Night Zookeeper to try out his website with my class. Night Zookeeper is a ‘digital learning tool that inspires writing through competition’. My students had a go and it really is brilliant! You get a two week trial and then you must pay.
How do I set up?
Watch this video tutorial for information on how to get started:
What are the main advantages of Night Zookeeper?
- The students get an online profile and this creates a ‘writer identity’ for them; they are known for their writing style and choices.
- Art is incorporated and supports/encourages thoughtful writing.
- There is loads of support (in the right side bar) including instructions and word banks.
- The children really, really enjoyed it! They were sharing their great ideas and genuinely enjoying writing.
- You can see the students’ work and assess it easily.
- It gamifies writing – the students have to compete with others to be the best. They enter a world and, in the style of Pokemon Go, have to battle each other.
- The students can write whenever they want. ALL of the class carried on their writing journey at home.
- Teachers can easily set ready-made, exciting lessons for pupils to complete.
Have a go! Let me know what you think by commenting below.