Technology certainly has pros and cons. However, assistive technology (technology designed to support people with special educational needs and disabilities – SEND) has had many positive impacts which have been life-changing for some.
Below I have listed 5 pieces of assistive technology which can help children with SEND:
- YouTube – if you have a child with a hearing impairment, most YouTube videos now have captions and subtitles. Just click on the button below when viewing a clip.
- AAC iPad apps – these apps really help students with a range of disabilities and learning difficulties (click here for a huge list of the different apps available).
3) Communicate in Print by Widgit is a great tool which turns words into symbols. Perfect for support reading and writing.
4) Nova Chat turns text to speech. What a great help for learners with sight impairments.
5) Mangomon. This software assesses a pupil and then makes them a personalized learning plan.
What technology do you use to support children with SEND? Let me know by commenting below.